The audio/espeak port
espeak-1.51 – compact speech synthesizer
eSpeak produces good quality English speech. It uses a different
synthesis method from other open source TTS engines, and sounds
quite different. It's perhaps not as natural or "smooth", but
the articulation is much clearer and easier to listen to for long
It can run as a command line program to speak text from a file
or from stdin. A shared library version is also available.
* Includes different Voices, whose characteristics can be altered.
* Can produce speech output as a WAV file.
* SSML (Speech Synthesis Markup Language) is supported (not
complete), and also HTML.
* Compact size. The program and its data, including several
languages, totals about 700 kbytes.
* Can translate text to phoneme codes, so it could be adapted
as a front end for another speech synthesis engine.
* Potential for other languages. Several are included in varying
stages of progress. Help from native speakers for these or
other languages is welcomed.
* Development tools available for producing and tuning phoneme data.
- Only for arches